“LexiCode has been an excellent business partner over the years- they have been very receptive to our changing needs as we implemented the electronic medical record.”
―Lynne Henderson, HIM Director Spartanburg Regional Medical Center
LexiCode Services provided to Spartanburg Regional Medical Center (SRMC):
- Remote Coding for 7 years – Inpatient, Outpatient Surgery, ER, Injection/Infusion and Ancillary Records;
- Remote Coding Audits for 7 years;
- Onsite Coding Education for Injection and Infusion coding and updates;
- Onsite Coding Support.
Snapshot: Spartanburg Regional Medical Center
Type of facility: Serving more than 100,000 patients each year, Spartanburg Regional Medical Center is a 588 bed teaching hospital. Among its departments are the Regional Heart Center, offering 36 intensive care and 64 telemetry beds; the Gibbs Regional Cancer Center, a comprehensive cancer research and treatment center; a Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit; the Center for Women; and the Emergency Center equipped to treat any type of injury. Connected to Spartanburg Regional Medical Center, the six-story Regional Outpatient Center houses a wide range of state-of-the-art outpatient diagnostic, laboratory and surgical procedures such as same day surgery, mammography, MRI and CT scans.
- Systems: 3M, McKesson HPF and Star Navigator
- Number of beds: 588
- Inpatient discharges: 27,500
- Outpatient diagnostic encounters: 228,000
- Ambulatory surgery visits: 12,000
- Emergency visits: 80,000
- Services: Behavioral Health, Children’s Health, da Vinci Robot, Emergency Center, Health Sciences Library, Palliative Care, Regional Pediatrics, Sleep Services, Stroke, Urology, Wound Healing Center, Rehabilitation, Orthopedics
SRMC was experiencing fluctuating high census periods and accompanying staff shortages. In addition, SRMC was also seeking a remote auditing service to ensure they were maintaining coding compliance.
A secure connection was established and LexiCode worked directly with SRMC’s HIM Management team to set up policies and procedures for coding and abstracting. LexiCode then provided a core group of AHIMA credentialed coders and auditors with logins and systems knowledge available to SRMC with limited notice.
The phases for accomplishing a remote set up:
- Evaluate technological environment
- Determine coding needs (record types and turnaround times)
- Assign a LexiCode Account Manager to SRMC
- Review abstract requirements
- Discuss facility specific coding policies
- Work with Information Systems to establish a secure connection (VPN, firewall to firewall, etc.)
- Create logins and complete remote access
- Agree on turnaround times
- Test all systems
- Begin coding or auditing remotely
- Implement QA process
- Schedule status calls with LexiCode and SRMC management
The results were simple and successful.
- Once LexiCode had a connection and logins SRMC reviewed abstract system and facility specifics with the LexiCode team. When the time came SRMC knew which coder was assigned to their account for coding support and they were comfortable with their ability due to the preparatory steps already taken. Consistency is a key element for success, therefore, we have dedicated staff available for SRMC.
- LexiCode provides a quick turnaround time ensuring revenue flow continues without a negative financial impact to SRMC.
- SRMC was able to take comfort in knowing that LexiCode’s Remote Coding Center has state of the art physical and technical security features that protect patient information. Security features include, individual keyless entry, alarm system, camera surveillance, Cisco Firewall, Norton Antivirus software and exclusive computer logins. All coders have unique SRMC logins and do not have ability to print any patient information. All LexiCode employees participate in HIPAA training and adhere to SRMC’s confidentiality policies.
- LexiCode’s skilled management team performs concurrent QA and monitors productivity with respect to SRMC’s goals and LexiCode’s Corporate Compliance Plan. Quality assurance averages are shared with SRMC to assure LexiCode meets compliance standards.
- LexiCode’s remote connection saves SRMC money by eliminating travel expenses and travel time.
- LexiCode provides quarterly coding compliance audits for SRMC’s coders. Detailed findings are shared with SRMC and LexiCode assists with providing education on any findings. LexiCode also provides customized educational programs at SRMC’s request.
- Most importantly, SRMC has a back-up plan when unplanned things happened. SRMC can rest assured that LexiCode is here to assist at a moment’s notice.